Friday, October 4, 2013

Back in the bubble

Well, my year abroad is officially over and I've been back in the Cambridge bubble for five days, so I thought it was about time I started my blog.  My aim is to show that it is possible to cook yummy things with very little equipment, I have a microwave, an induction hob and a fridge along with basic equipment.  I've already had quite a bit of practice cooking as a student as during my year in Germany I had only a hob in my room, so I became quite good at adapting recipes!

The best way to cook is with friends, so I was really pleased when my friend Helen suggested we make cheese and ham pancakes for dinner!  It was the perfect end to a rather stressful day owing to a German exam I had this morning.

Although not the hardest of things to make I didn't put in quite enough milk, meaning the pancakes came out rather thick, but they were delicious nonetheless.  Pancakes really are quite simple, you need plain flour, eggs, milk (and water), a pinch of salt and some butter.  Although I do have a set of scales we were trying to be quick so I didn't bother weighing out the ingredients (another thing which contributed to their unusually thick consistency).  Just mix the flour, eggs, milk, salt and water together until you have a reasonably runny mixture, then melt enough butter in a frying pan to coat the bottom of it, make sure the pan is hot and add some mixture (not too much or the pancake will be really thick).  Let it cook on one side and then either flip it if you're feeling daring, or if not just use a spatula or knife to flip it over.  Cook on the other side and add the toppings :)  Quick, simple and yummy!

I hope it won't be too long before I find time to cook again, but with a dissertation due in soon and the first week of term just around the corner I'm not going to make any promises!



Not the prettiest pancakes ever but they were warm and tasty :)

No comments:

Post a Comment